Sunday, February 7, 2016

Valentine's block

So I decided that I don't have enough Valentine decorations last night. I wanted to come up with something easy yet cute.  I bought the block at a craft store, but you can cut a block or even use a piece of leftover wood. My block dimensions are 5"x5.25"x1.50".  I painted it brown, sanded it a bit, just enough to roughen it up but not take off the paint, After that lightly painted it white, just covering it enough to give it a white washed look. After it dried I sanded the edges. I sanded down to the wood, but you can just sand down to the brown paint.  I picked my design, Love heart, from the Silhouette store and then choose colors of the vinyl I would use. I went with pink and red, so I then colored in the words in the design, so I could see exactly what it would look like done and it also makes placing the words easier.
After I did this, I removed the pink and left the red in their original spot and cut them out of red vinyl. I removed the excess vinyl and weeded around the lettering, then placed transfer tape on top and placed it to the side.
Once the red was done, I hit the back arrow several times and added all of the pink wording back and then deleted the red words. I cut this out in pink vinyl. I removed the excess vinyl and weeded the lettering again, but instead of putting transfer tape over it, I removed the backing on the red words and brought that piece of transfer tape with the vinyl over and lined it up to match the design, once it was in place I rubbed the transfer tape down on the vinyl and made sure it picked up both the red and pink words. I placed the words on the block making sure I had it right where I wanted it, then I rubbed the vinyl down and removed the transfer tape.  Some of the letters wanted to come up with the transfer tape, so it took a little time and work to get them down. This is what I got when I was finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment